Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Being Me

Wow. I didn't think
there was so much
clutter in my mind.
My apt. yes, but
try to find the real
"me" under all the
shoulds, fears is a
real hunting job.
I'm in there some-
where but I need me
on demand, not after
the opportunity has
zipped on by.
Even if it stands
still for a clear shot
giving me time to focus
and aim, I'm still
shuffling around lucky
to find my true feelings
about any one thing.
Only after a re-centering
on the spot, as it were, and
then I'm wondering why I
don't just operate from
those feelings all the time
so I don't have to hunt them
down when I want to approach
even some sense of
authenticity in my relations
with the world and others.
At least I know how I want
to show up in the world and
I'm getting a clearer sense of
what that entails.
When you've been catering to
everyone it takes some courage
to stand up for yourself,
be true to your feelings,
when you've really just tried
to please all around you and
be "safe", don't rock any boats.
It's so simple to feel
what you're feeling
and stay true to and stand up for
that whether your liked or not.
What a concept, being true
to myself, being true to me,
being me.
Why did I have to make it so
complicated before?
I guess I'll just be myself and
let the cards fall where they will.
What a concept.
Why didn't I think of this before?
I think I'm happier now and life's
a lot less complicated coming
from this "new" realization--I can
be me--I don't have to figure out
who or how to be with each new
person I encounter. I don't have
to please anybody. Just myself.
I can just be me.




Copyright © 2012 Gary Frates All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment