Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Writing off the Critic

I cut the kids
at school
no slack
when it comes
to getting started
in writing something.
I could at least
walk my talk
and give myself
the same
consideration.

Like me
they're their
harshest critics
I sense
even though I'm
the final editor
with my suggestions.

If they're
young enough they
welcome them
and may not even
have much
of an internal critic
developed anyway.
They're too young
to really know
any better--
and "mistakes"
are more
innocently discovered
and delighted in.
It's great to be
learning something new.

But a little older
and they're inclined
to want to
defend what
they've created.
They may be
upset for
not having learned
this already or
find a bruised ego
when I'm not
diplomatic enough
with my
comments and
corrections.

Maybe we all
need to learn
from these
little ones--
a kinder behavior
toward ourselves--
when we
try something new.



Copyright © 2012 Gary Frates






No comments:

Post a Comment