I, as it turns out, have been my worst own enemy.
I do not even start, or if I do, not finish
anything to it's successsful conclusion--at least in the
doing of it, anything, that is
or might become, too scary for me.
I might get in over my head emotionally,
for instance, to something and fear sailing
through some choppy waters.
I might have to confront my wobbly
self-esteem, and confidence at times, and
face the inadequacy of that as compared
to what I want and know I can do and have
done, but for some reluctant reason, I'm balking
now with all kinds of excuses--whatever's
handy, to not involve myself in the participation
and completion of life's experiences and
adventures.
It's like buying a ticket to a movie and then
not going in, sitting outside in the sun until it's
over. Sure it was a nice day, but you missed
the movie!
So rule #1: Start--do it anyway.
And rule #2 have the discipline to finish it--
do it--that scary thing, and find out what
happens--probably won't and doesn't
hold a candle to your imaginary fears
and misgivings you might have had
before the event.
© 2013 Gary Frates
No comments:
Post a Comment