I want to risk
but I feel afraid...
When I learned to swim
at summer camp,
and earned my
minnow badge,
little me
4 feet high and growing
jumped (or was pushed!)
into the deep end
of the swimming pool,
way, way over my head,
and had to make it
to the other side,
to qualify for minnow.
I can remember
feverishly
waving my arms,
trying not to panic
(sort of too late),
or sink.
Somehow, I made it
(don't ask me to do it again).
I felt immense gratification
at accomplishing
what to me
seemed the impossible.
I had much support then,
almost more than
I feel now, at times,
nevertheless, the fear
was there and
needed to be faced
and walked,
or swam through,
as it were.
Is there an easier way
to do this?
I think not.
Relying on myself
as I've always done,
to stay in the moment,
I can get through any
inclement conditions
unscathed.
I've did it over
and over again.
Fortunately,
to see a new day
as a new person
there will always
be an edge.
Copyright © 2013 Gary Frates
Image © Dennis Frates

No comments:
Post a Comment